Amikas is a 501(c)(3) non-profit comprised of members who share a like-minded passion and vision for eradicating homelessness in the greater San Diego County region. Amikas is structurally organized into sub-committees – small groups nested within the organization that synergistically work together to meet organizational goals. Volunteers within each sub-committee focus their efforts on meeting essential duties within their committee’s oversight.
The core committees include:
- AZP Committee - Oversees the process of applying for an Administrative Zoning Permit and other building permits required to build a cabin community.
- Construction Committee — Oversees construction of Emergency Sleeping Cabins and other elements of the cabin communities.
- Marketing and Development Committee - Engages in fundraising and marketing for the Amikas organization and our partners. This includes working on our website and social media presence.
- Meridian Program Committee - Engages with other non-profit partners to assist with managing day to day operations, security, and services at the cabin communities.
- Membership Committee - Manages Amikas membership and event planning to bring members together, raise funds, and recruit volunteers.
- Leadership and Governance - Oversees the Bylaws, corporate formalities, as well as board development.
- Finance Committee - Oversees Amikas’ finances, tax filings, and treasurer’s duties.
- Advocacy Committee - Participates in events such as attending government meetings to advocate for or against causes, and keeps the Board informed about government developments, helps Amikas build relationships with elected officials.
Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth.
If our hopes of building a better and safer world are to become more than wishful thinking, we will need the engagement of volunteers more than ever.
As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands — one for helping yourself, the other for helping others.
Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, What are you doing for others?